- Speech title as it is to be printed: “Unitarian Christianity.”
- Exact date and place of speech delivery: 5 May 1819. Baltimore, MD.
- Full name of speaker, with year of birth and year of death: William Ellery Channing (1780-1842).
- Full name of editor of electronic text: Eric C. Miller.
- Date of electronic edition: Summer 2023.
- Languages: English (100%).
- Indication of editorial functions performed: Eric C. Miller transcribed and proofread the text found in Unitarian Christianity and Other Essays.
Bibliographic List of Sources:
Channing, William Ellery. “Unitarian Christianity.” In Unitarian Christianity and Other Essays, edited by Irving H. Bartlett, 3-38. New York: The Liberal Arts Press, 1957. [=A]
Statement of Editorial Procedures:
This unit relies on the speech transcript published in Unitarian Christianity and Other Essays, copy-text A. This speech appears in various forms online, but the published transcript in [=A] appears to be the most accurate version. We did not find any audio or video recordings.
Before the speech begins, the following text was preserved from copy-text A as it is standard for sermons of this era to include such information: “Discourse at the Ordination of the Rev. Jared Sparks, Baltimore, 1819; 1 Thes. v. 21: ‘Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.’”
The paragraph structure was retained from the copy-text and paragraph numbers have been added in square brackets.
The text of this edition has been thoroughly checked and proofread.
All double quotation marks are rendered with “, all single quotation marks with apostrophe ‘.
This copy text is not subject to end-of-line hyphenation.
Special characters and characters with diachronic marks: none.
There are no other departures from the copy-text.