Milk, Harvey Bernard. “You’ve Got to Have Hope.” In San Francisco Public Library, James C. Hormel Gay and Lesbian Center “Harvey Milk Archives – Scott Smith Collection,” collection number GLC 35, Box 9. [=A]
The copy-text is Milk 1977 (=A), an original draft of Milk’s last famous campaign speech; this typed version with handwritten notes represents the first time the speech was delivered. The occasion was to announce his candidacy for the District 5 seat of the San Francisco Board of the Supervisors on June 24, 1977 during the Gay Freedom Day celebration at theGayCommunity Center(330 Grove Street), District 5,San Francisco.
Non-grammatical forms have been changed and noted to reflect standard grammatical forms of language as reflected in (A).
All double quotation marks are rendered with “, all single quotation marks with
This copy-text is not subject to end-of-line hyphenation.
Standard date values are given in ISO form: yyyy-mm-dd.
Characteristics of interpretation of this edition are as follows:
Proper names are not marked.
Dates are not marked.
Emphasis is marked without interpretation.
There are no departures from the copy-text.
1. Speech Title as it is to be printed: You’ve Got to Have Hope.
2. Exact Date and Place of Speech Delivery: June 24, 1977; Gay Community Center (330 Grove Street), Gay Freedom Day, Castro Street, District Five, San Francisco, California
3. Complete Name of Speaker, with year of birth and year of death: Harvey Bernard Milk (1930-1978).
4. Complete name of editor or compiler of electronic text, with indication of role: Jason Edward Black (editor) and Benjamin Kimmerle (transcriber).
5. Date of Electronic edition: 2010.
6. Languages: English (100%)
7. San Francisco Public Library, James C. Hormel Gay and Lesbian Center, Harvey Milk Archives – Scott Smith Collection, collection number GLC 35, Box 9, Series 2d, 10pp.
8. Indication of editing functions performed (e.g., data entry, proof-reading), by whom (complete name), and when performed (complete [inclusive] date[s]): Jason Edward Black, initial archival copy, 6 August 2007; Benjamin Kimmerle, transcription and proof-reading of electronic copy-text, 22 January 2010; Jason Edward Black, collation of electronic copy-text with other versions, 4 February 2010; Jason Edward Black, editing of electronic text, 9 September 2010; Jason Edward Black, final proof-reading of edited electronic text, 10 September 2010.