Biographical List of Sources
Fosdick, Harry Emerson. “Shall the Fundamentalists Win?” Synthetic Collection 93, Folder 7, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, Missouri. (=A)
Fosdick, Harry Emerson. “Shall the Fundamentalists Win?” Harry Emerson Fosdick Papers, Series 1A, Box 12, Folder 7, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University, New York, NY. (=B)
Fosdick, Harry Emerson. “Shall the Fundamentalists Win?” The Christian Century, 39 (June 8, 1922): 713-717. (=C)
Fosdick, Harry Emerson. “Shall the Fundamentalists Win?” The Christian Work, 102 (June 10, 1922): 716-722. (=D)
Statement of Editorial Procedures
The copy-text is the stenographically reported version of the sermon, which was delivered May 21, 1922 at the First Presbyterian Church of New York City. The speech was stenographically reported by Margaret Renton. The copy-text was recovered from the PCA Historical Center with the gracious assistance of Director Wayne Sparkman. The copy-text was selected because it most closely resembles what Fosdick actually said in his delivery of the sermon.
Version B was recovered from Fosdick’s papers at The Burke Library with the generous help of librarian Carolyn Bratnober. Version B is a typed copy of the sermon, which includes handwritten notes by Fosdick.
Versions C and D were published and widely circulating versions of the sermon. The Christian Century and The Christian Work were popular Christian magazines that published important sermons from various Christian pastors.
Paragraph numbers were added in square brackets.
The text of this edition has been thoroughly checked and proofread by Eric C. Miller and Lauren Hunter.
This copy-text is not subject to end of line hyphenation.
Speech Authentication Information
- Speech Title exactly as it is to be printed: “Shall the Fundamentalists Win?”
- Exact Date and Place of Speech Delivery: 21 May, 1922, First Presbyterian Church of New York City, NY.
- Complete Name of Speaker, with year of birth and year of death: Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969)
- Complete name of editor or compiler of electronic text, with indication of role: Eric C. Miller (compiler and editor). Date of electronic edition: May 17, 2019.
- Languages: English (100%).
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Fosdick, Harry Emerson. “Shall the Fundamentalists Win?”
- Indication of editing functions: Eric C. Miller checked and edited copy-text.