- Speech Title exactly as it to be printed: “Address at the Hattiesburg Freedom Day Rally.”
- Exact Date and Place of Speech Delivery: 21 January 1964. Speech before a mass meeting held at the St. Paul’s Methodist Church in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- Complete Name of Speaker, with year of birth and year of death: Ella Josephine Baker (1903-1986).
- Complete name of editor or compiler of electronic text, with indication of role: Nikki Orth (compiler and editor).
- Date of electronic edition: 2018.
- Languages: English (100%).
- Indication of editing functions performed: The audio file for this speech was originally recorded by Moses Moon (formerly Alan Ribback), and is located in the Moses Moon Audio Archive at the Smithsonian’s Archives Center of the National Museum of American History. Davis W. Houck and David E. Dixon transcribed a speech text from the audio, which is published in their book, Rhetoric, Religion, and the Civil Rights Movement, 1954-1965. In August 2018, Nikki Orth transcribed the copy-text from the audio file, but used Houck and Dixon’s written transcript to create paragraph structure.
Bibliographic List of Sources:
Ella Baker, Moses Moon Archives, Archives Center of the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian, Washington D.C., Audio Tape. (=A)
Davis W. Houck and David E. Dixon, Rhetoric, Religion, and the Civil Rights Movement, 1954-1965 (Waco, Texas: Baylor University Press, 2006), 686-688. (=B)
Statement of Editorial Procedures:
The audio file (=A) of Baker’s speech, located at the Smithsonian Archives Center, serves as copy-text A. Commas and dashes were added to copy-text to preserve the voice of Baker heard on the audio file. The audio file has been uploaded with this unit, copyright permissions courtesy of Moses Moon Collection, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution.
Orth followed Houck and Dixon’s reprint of Baker’s speech for editing purposes. She maintained the paragraph structure (=B) and added paragraph numbers in brackets to the copy-text.
The copy-text has been thoroughly checked and proofread. Skye de Saint Felix helped edit the copy-text to best reflect Baker’s voice on the audio file.
All double quotation marks are rendered with “, all single quotation marks with apostrophe ‘.
This copy text is not subject to end-of-line hyphenation.
Special characters and characters with diachronic marks: none.
Departures from the copy-text and general editorial procedures: none.