- I used the title as it is given in the authenticated text.
- It was given to a Joint Session of Congress on December 8, 1941.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt (January 30, 1882-April 12, 1945).
- Mary E. Stuckey, complier.
- Submitted on June 15, 2017.
- This is the version of the text as delivered on December 8, 1941. It is the version that is used by the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library (http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collections/franklin/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=582). I chose this version because it has all the drafts of the speech, including the president’s handwritten marginalia, digitized and appended to the final version. With the exception of one comma (after the word territory), it is also the version available through the American Presidency Project site (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=16053&st=infamy&st1=)
The audio is available here: https://fdrlibrary.org/utterancesfdr#afdr244
The video is accessible here: http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collections/franklin/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=582
- The comma after “territory” present in the American Presidency Project version, and absent from the version on the Roosevelt Library site, is not present in this version. Paragraph numbers have been added in square brackets. The text of this edition has been carefully checked and proofread.
- There are no quotations.
- There are no hyphenations.
- English 100%.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: United States-politics and government-1933-1945-; World War-1939-1945-speeches and addresses; J8082
- Mary E. Stuckey, data entry, collation, and proof reading, 4 June 2017.